CALL US ON 0800 112 3433      MON TO SAT 08:00AM – 18:00M

The Gas Safety Register was created to protect the public from unqualified engineers performing dangerous gas work. If your engineer or plumber is Gas Safe registered, you can rest assured that they are qualified to deal safely with gas. If your boiler isn’t registered with Gas Safe, we’ll go over what you can do.

Does My Boiler Have To Be Registered?

Simply put, yes, the Gas Safe Register (GSR) must inspect and approve all boilers in the UK, and you must have your system examined every 12 months by law, It’s illegal to use it without a proper certificate, so if you’re a property owner or manager, make an appointment with your landlord or the GSR to get your annual check scheduled.

This is mainly due to the fact that there is a risk of fire, explosion, gas leaks, and carbon monoxide (CO) poisoning if gas appliances, such as ovens, stoves, and boilers, are not properly installed and maintained. Employers and landlords must follow all applicable legislation to protect the safety of their employees, tenants and landlords.

How Do You Know If Your Boiler Has Been Registered With Gas Safe?

You’ll need to know an individual engineer’s unique 7-digit licence number to see if they’re currently Gas Safe registered. This information can be found on the engineer’s Gas Safe ID card, this will let you know if your boiler is registered with Gas Safe.

However, if you have just had a new boiler installed then you must register the boiler with the manufacturer to begin the warranty period, as well as register the boiler with Gas Safe, the industry organisation for gas safety and standards. But who is responsible for registering the boiler warranty? Once the installation is complete, the boiler installation company should register the boiler for you and give you a warranty.

What Can I Do If My Boiler Is Not Registered With Gas Safe?

Are you unsure if your boiler is not registered with gas safe? Then it is important to get it checked out as if your gas boiler isn’t registered with Gas Safe Register when it was installed, we recommend contacting the installer to have the boiler registered, assuming they can still do so.

If the original firm that installed the boiler is no longer in operation, another gas safe company will be able to come out and register the boiler on your behalf. Make sure you explain the situation thoroughly and, if feasible, have all the prior installer’s information on hand.

The engineer should then notify the relevant local authorities via the Gas Safe Register website to obtain a Building Regulations Compliance Certificate; however, each engineer/business will decide whether to notify on your behalf.

How Do I Know If My Boiler Is Registered With Gas Safe?

Not sure if your boiler is registered with gas safe? Then you’ll need to know an individual engineer’s unique 7-digit licence number to see if they’re currently Gas Safe registered. This information can be found on the engineer’s Gas Safe ID card, this will let you know if your boiler is registered with Gas Safe.

Do I Need A Gas Safety Certificate To Sell My House?

If you are wanting to move homes and wondering if your Gas Safety Certificate is going to affect selling your home, then it is best to look at the rules around your area.

For example, local authorities in England and Wales must be notified when any heat-producing appliance is placed at home, according to the Building Regulations. After that, you’ll receive a Building Regulations Compliance Certificate, which you’ll need to give to the new owners moving into your home. This, however, is not the same as a Gas Safety Record.

But What About A Boiler Service Certificate?

Although there is no legal requirement to have your boiler serviced before selling your house, it is a terrific selling factor. This form is required as part of the home selling process and asks you to provide accurate information on a variety of aspects of your property’s condition. Therefore, there is no law to have a boiler service certificate, but your home probably will sell faster.

Who Pays For Gas Safety Certificates?

Landlords are not allowed to charge for gas safety inspections. A registered Gas Safe engineer must conduct the inspection. When they come to visit, check their Gas Safe ID card. The engineer must make any gas systems in your home safe if there are any major problem with them.

If you are a tenant and you have come to the realisation that your landlord is responsible for paying for your gas safety, then you might think that you are also in luck for them covering an annual boiler service.

You’ll be pleased to know that the boiler is the landlord’s responsibility to maintain. The Landlord and Tenant Act of 1985 mandates that landlords keep water, gas, and electrical infrastructure, as well as sanitation systems, in good repair and operating order. Landlords are also liable for space heating and hot water heating systems.

The only time the landlord is not responsible for boiler damage is when the renter has caused it intentionally through abuse.

What Happens If A Gas Safety Certificate Expires?

Your landlord should always be up to date with your certificates. A Gas Safe registered engineer must perform all installation, maintenance, and safety checks. Gas certificates are only valid for one year after they are issued.

Did you know, you can schedule a gas safety check any time between 10 and 12 months after the last one was conducted, without impacting the original projected expiration date! You’ll get a new deadline date 12 months from the most recent check if it’s less than 10 months or more than 12 months since the last check. If you have any questions concerning your LGSR, please contact Gas Safe Register for assistance.

Having your boiler registered with gas safety is important as it is a legal requirement and can help you sell your home. For this feel free to reach out to us at Boiler Choice or contact your local gas engineer.